IND Readiness Team
Aside from InClinica’s strength in clinical trial management and project direction, we have deep and extensive experience in the post-discovery/pre-development evaluation of research programs or, more granularly, of a compound, a device, or a diagnostic assay.
Specifically, for small molecules, InClinica has the experience to help a small company or a virtual company sift through its leads or its IND-track candidates and identify the chemical structure with the best chance of advancing to clinical trials.
The leaders of InClinica’s pre-clinical evaluation team are trained pharmaceutical chemists, who are responsible for evaluating the “drug-likeness” of clients’ novel compounds as IND-track candidates, as patentable structures, or as optimizable chemical leads.
Of particular interest to university technology transfer offices, our chemists can review your records of invention and perform a drug-likeness assessment based on standard metrics that will help these offices perform a risk assessment of filing a patent, of filing a patent with just with the USPTO, or of filing a PCT application and bearing the downstream expenses of the national filing phase.
More important, the IND team can review your screening cascade and your research operating plan and make specific recommendations to better focus your research programs. We can help a company or a university-based researcher:
- Critically assess compound SAR, drug-likeness, reactivity, and potential for off-target effects
- Identify reliable in vitro laboratories who can test lead molecules in critical assays like hERG, CYP450 isoforms, metabolite ID and Ames mutagenicity assays
- Suggest relevant animal models to round out a compound’s in vivo ADME/PK/toxicology profile
- Identify expert bioanalytical laboratories to develop and validate bioanalytical methods to detect a drug candidate in various matrices, such as blood, plasma, urine, etc.
- Select reputable contract manufacturers who can scale-up compounds from a bench top synthesis (mg or g) to kilogram quantities and who can develop and optimize a clinical/ commercial product formulation
- Choose GMP-compliant analytical laboratories to develop, optimize, and validate sound analytical methods for compound identity and purity testing, for release specifications, and for physicochemical determinations, polymorph characterization, and benchtop and formal stability storage and testing
- Develop a regulatory strategy for submission to the FDA and EMA
InClinica’s team supports several key drug development activities summarized below:
InClinica has access to chemists expert in process chemistry development — going from benchtop to industrial scale synthesis — and preparation of the CMC sections of IND’s. We have worked with several GMP manufacturers who can offer assistance to virtual and small biotech companies who are seeking solutions for scale-up challenges.
InClinica works with several well-known firms who offer an incisive method for determining the optimal match-ups of target product profile, clinical indication, and market positioning. In addition, InClinica works with analysts who can advise our clients on various product pricing strategies.
Given the evolution of patients’ access to healthcare insurance, questions about reimbursement and other payor issues are fundamental drivers of clinical and commercial development. InClinica has an entrée to experts who have worked at high levels in the insurance industry and can provide well-informed recommendations on how to develop a program clinically for optimal pricing.
Our regulatory advisors have held positions in the FDA and EMA, have worked in industry, and can provide strong strategic regulatory guidance to early stage programs in drugs or devices.
We have a strong advisory team in pharmacokinetics and ADME, who are adept in drug metabolism and PK models and simulations and who have worked in biotechnology companies and large pharma. Coupled with our toxicology advisors, who specialize in the toxicology studies necessary for IND submission, this early development team has seen and solved diverse problems in ADME and toxicology.
InClinica uses the talents of consulting pharmacologists who have extensive industry experience in cell biology, in vitro biology, and in vivo models of efficacy. Ways to demonstrate target engagement and the design of in vivo proof of concept studies are two areas of strength for this team.
In combination with our staff experience, InClinica has access to a robust network of technical advisors, who span the major functional areas of preclinical development. Our commercial advisors, complementing our clinical and preclinical expertise, provide sound consulting on pricing, positioning, and reimbursement issues — at the early stages of development.
All of this work “maps” into a pre-IND meeting package and ultimately the IND’s sections for pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, metabolism, toxicology, and chemistry manufacturing controls.
InClinica orchestrates this work through its strong project management staff, its network of laboratories and manufacturing partners to perform the necessary studies, and its medical writing and quality assurance staff to prepare and review regulatory submissions.